Saturday, January 21, 2012

The travesty of it all!

You can know someone for a really long time. And you can think you know everything about that person. Until they say something that rattles you to your core and you question if you even met the real person.

This happened recently. And it's seriously making me question my friendship. I've known my best friend for going on 27 years. And all those years I'd never known that my friend is a closet romantic movie hater. Yes, I said it. She hates those sappy love stories that most women watch all the time, several times over. I'm seriously rethinking my friendship here. It's tough.

At an impasse... what do I do!


It started last year. I went to the theaters and saw Crazy Stupid Love. I loved it. The whole movie was awesome. And bonus, Ryan Gosling took his shirt off. I was explaining to my best friend how good the movie was and urged her to see it. And I believe I dropped the little tidbit about Mr. Gosling, "Oh, he's so hot in this movie. But nothing tops The Notebook."

My friend: "I've never seen it."

I'm pretty sure there was silence for a moment or two... or three. Followed by me "You've never seen The Notebook?!?" Of course it was probably said like "Yooooove neevvvvvver seeeeeeen The Notebook?" ending in that high pitch lilt.

Friend (laughing): Uh, no.

I think I filed it away. To be forgotten. Or maybe I just needed to forget it.

Then it happened again. I was watching The Notebook on television and she called.

Friend: "What are you doing?"
Me: "Oh, watching The Notebook and bawling my eyes out. I think I'm getting my period."
Friend: "Hmph. Yea. Never saw it."
Me: "Yooooove neevvvvvver seeeeeeeen The Notebook?"
Friend (laughing): No, I haven't. I think I already told you that.

Ugh. She tore my heart out. She's never seen the Notebook! And the worst part... she still hasn't seen it. I mean, come on! You are my best friend! The least you can do is watch this damn movie!


My heart still beats rapidly when I see the trailer. I LOVE this movie. I LOVE this book. I LOVE Noah...


Oh Noah, you can row my boat anytime.

So... while I still harbor ill feelings about my friend and her absolute disregard to my feelings in that she still hasn't seen it. At this point I refused to believe that she is a Sappymovie Hater. After all, she has seen Titanic. She has seen all the Twilight movies. She has seen most Julia Roberts movies. Although I'm not certain she's seen Notting Hill. I may have to get on her about that. But still, she's my best friend. My best friend can't be a hater.

And I believed that until last week. Then my world was shattered. In an everyday average conversation between us I mentioned some scene from Sense & Sensibility. I expected her to know what I was talking about. I mean, this is the woman who I can say most movie lines and she knows exactly where they come from. But I mentioned Elinor Dashwood and Mr. Palmer's relationship and I got nothing but dead air. (Ok, to be fair, I never get dead air from her, I'm usually listening to her boys terrorize each other. It's just background noise I've come accustomed to.)

Then she said it.

"Yea. I've never seen it."

Now it was my turn for dead air. (My dead air is my son whining about something and my daughter yelling about something else. It's background noise I've come accustomed to.)

Then she says, "Don't freak out, ok. I can hear it, you're freaking out."

DAMN RIGHT I'M FREAKING OUT! How could you have not seen Sense & Sensibility??  What the hell!! That movie is a classic. A movie almost every women my age, probably older and maybe younger have seen. And you haven't seen it?

I felt my knees go weak. I was scared. I thought the apocolypse was coming. She has never seen Sense & Sensibility.

Now I believed it. She had officially removed all doubt. My friend is a Sappymovie Hater.

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY!!  MY GOD WOMAN! SENSE AND SENSIBILITY!!!


Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Hugh Laurie... Come on! Doesn't get better then this! This movie rips my heart out at the end. I always--and I do mean always--cry at the end... sob like a little baby. No, sob isn't the right word. Bawling my eyes out is much better. Ugly cry... I go into the ugly cry.

My God!!  Sense and Sensibility!!!

I love my best friend. I really, really do. But this has shaken me. Do I really know her? Has she really seen Steel Magnolias? Sure, we can quote the lines but most of the lines have become part of pop culture. "Pink is my signature color."  Next she's going to tell me she's never really seen an episode of Friends.

Really, my friend. Who are you...???

No comments:

Post a Comment