Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's the little things

When I'm down--and as you know I've been pretty far down--it's the little things that make me smile. They make me smile, that make me safe, they make me laugh out loud so hard and for so long that my eyes are watering so bad I can't see anymore. For my own sake, and anyone else who happens to stumble upon me and needs a little pick me up, I'm making a list of 5 things that will always--and I do mean always--get me out of a slump.

1. Adam Levine. I mean, come on. You knew this was coming. That man (and that band too) makes me happy. I could look at pictures all day and swoon but sometimes I need something more. That's when I turn to You Tube. And without fail, this is always my go-to vid of him. It makes me giggle; it makes me swoon; it reminds me all over again just why I crush so hard on this man.

It's a 3 1/2 minute video. If you want the best part, jump to the 2:00 mark. Just sayin'... Really, just sayin' it because you need to fast foward to that point. Do it. Trust me.



Side comment: The maker if this vid is a super-duper uber fan of Maroon 5. I bow to her fan-ship greatness. (Fan-ship. It's a word, I swear.)

And I have to add this little diddy too. It's one of my favorite songs right now--the whole song, I swear. I like the metaphors they use (metaphors? is that right?) and of course I like the chorus. Uh, hum.
The best part may or may not start at around 2:38. You may, or may not want to skip to that part. But I'm warning you, if you do, you are missing a really good song.



2. My So-Called Life.

Pic courtesy of wallpapergate.com
I. GOT. THIS. SHOW. I got it. I mean... I got it. When this first debuted back in the 90's, I related so well to Angela Chase it wasn't even funny. I watched it while it was one network television for a year and then I watched every single rerun whenever it was run, I think it was MTV (not 100% sure though). I loved this show. And yes, I loved Jordan Catalano. He was the epitome of hotness for me: gorgeous, aloof, cool, gorgeous... I loved how he liked Angela but was too scared to admit it to anyone including himself. I loved how Angela was obsessed with him because I could totally relate. One of my alltime favorite lines from this show is when Angela was talking to Rayanne and Rickie about him:
Rayanne: I think part of him is partly interested in you. Definitely. I mean, he’s got other things on his mind.
Angela: But that’s the part that’s so unfair. I have nothing else on my mind. How come I have to be the one sitting around analyzing him in like microscopic detail, and he gets to be the one with other things on his mind.
Rickie: That is deep.

There is so many other amazing things about this show and since they've put the series on Netflix I've watched it over and over again. But now I'm a parent so I'm watching this show with whole new eyes--from the parents perspective. It just never gets old. And yes... Jordan Catalano is still the heartthrob he used to be (did I just use the word heartthrob? Gosh I'm old!) but I want to know what Brian Krakow is doing now. Probably running Microsoft, or Google, or Facebook...

3. Epic Red Underroos. Yes, I said it. And yes, I'm posting that picture.


Back in the spring of 2009 a little movie called "Twilight" came out on DVD. I watched it and thought, gee, that Edward guy looks familiar. Where do I know him from? Oh, and is he high? He looks high. How does his hair do that? How old is he? Why am I finding him attractive? Of course this is right when the now infamous Robert Pattinson really broke onto the scene and he was everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE. Poor guy. My friend and I were Googling him one night that summer and we came across this picture. We laughed hysterically and cried so hard from laughing--so hard our sides, stomach and faces hurt so bad.This became known as the "epic red underroos" pic. And whenever we'd need a laugh, we'd email each other this picture. This friend must have 200 text messages with this picture in them. It just never gets old. And even as I type this I'm smiling because I see the picture in my pereferrial vision and it still makes me giggle.

Obviously it's photoshopped. But that's what's so funny about it. Who would take the time to photoshop this? I mean, if you're going to photoshop something make it good, and I'm real good and dirty. You know... duuurrrttttteeeeeee..... *wink wink nudge nudge*

2. That Thing You Do!


Have you seen this movie? Please tell me you have because it's totally and completely awesome. It was written, directed and semi-starred Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks even wrote the music for the movie! This movie always pulls me out of any blahs I'm in. This has been my go-to movie for any bouts of depression I've had for years. And you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not. Years and years ago (1997-that was years ago) I flipped out, ran away from home--granted I was living on my own with a roommate but I still ran away from my friends, they didn't know where I went--ended up at a Red Lion hotel room, bawling my eyes out. The next morning I bought the soundtrack to this movie and it was like I pulled a 180. It's such a feel good movie with such good dialogue I can't even begin to express how wonderful I think the whole movie is. Seriously... watch this movie if you haven't. I'm going to go watch it today. I need to watch this today!

1. Friends

Friends are always good to have when you're down in the dumps. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about "Friends" the show. Do I really need to describe why this show is fabulous? I can watch every episode of this show over and over again and find something in each one that I will quote incessantly to the point my friends and family with beg me to shut the hell up. These are my favorites, I quote these lines all the time. ALL. THE. TIME.

(For some reason I can put the links on here, so clicky for your enjoyment)

Hi, I'm Chandler could I be wearing anymore clothes?

The One with the Rumor aka Thanksgiving with Brad Pitt

They don't know that we know that they know  Quite possibly the best scene EVER!

Rachel's trifle

Seriously, I could list Friends episodes all day long. So much good stuff. I'm never in a bad mood after I've watched a Friends episode. They were genius.


So there it is. I've given myself 5 ways to get out of my slump and after reviewing it all and writing it all down I think it's helped--a lot. Now I have to go plant the seed in my husbands head that I must have the complete series of Friends on DVD one more time because after 3 years, that seed still isn't implanted. Tells you how thick headed he is.

Edit: After re-reading this I noticed my numbering is off. And instead of renumbering it correctly, I'm going to leave it. Yes. I'm leaving it. Seems appropriate for my state of mind.

Sorry for any typing/grammatical errors. I'm going on pure adrenaline and caffeine this morning. And you can say it, how is that different then any other day? It's not, my friend. It's not. 

1 comment: