Monday, January 23, 2012

Music Monday

I wanted to start doing Music Monday's last week but things got out of hand with the holiday and then a couple snow days after. But here it is Monday again--well, the day is almost over--so I'm going to try again.

Seriously, where does time go anyway?

So, without further ado, it is my music Monday and I'm going to try and put a different song up each week; one that is speaking to me at the moment or an all time favorite. No genre is safe. I like it all. Well, almost all.

Today, I'm looking at two songs with the same name. Two songs that are completely different. And two songs sung in different tones. Does that make sense? I feel like that doesn't make sense. Oh well. You'll see what I mean.

My pick today is Jolene. This version's original was written and performed by Dolly Parton. We all know who she is, right? This song is a classic. I grew up with it, my mom loved it (makes me wonder if she ever felt this way about someone) and it was played over and over in my household. And bonus, it came out the year I was born.



Fast forward 30 years and the music world gives us Jack White. The word genius is thrown around a lot with him. I'm inclined to agree solely based on his version of Dolly's song. Who can take a pure country song like this and rock it like this has to be a genius.



**I'd like to mention that Vicci Martinez from "The Voice" last year did an awesome rendition of this too. Wow...


I'm going to turn the page and bring out another song titled Jolene. I sing this version daily, sometimes several times a day. It has made it's way to my top 10 songs of all time. Yes... it's that good.

Ray Lamontagne wrote and performed this exquisite song. His voice is so... I mean, it's just... ugh, I can't even come up with good enough words to express how uniquely wonderful he is. Plus, I have a major ooey gooey soft spot for a man and his guitar.



And then there's Zac. Oh, Zac, how I love thee. Zac Brown Band got me interested in country again. I love their bluegrass, country, rock mix. The fiddles are awesome, the banjo kicks ass and Zac's voice is so pure. Again, a man and his guitar. But this version of Jolene made me love this song even more then I ever did. Probably because I can belt out this version so much better!



Music makes my life go round. And so does Dolly, Jack, Ray and Zac.

No comments:

Post a Comment