Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanks for that

Thankgiving. The day to give thanks. At a time in my life when rock bottom and I are well aquainted, I thought I'd lift my head up and thank the people--and things--that make my life worth living.

1. The internet. Where would I be without you? Probably hiding in a corner in my room curled into a ball humming "It's a Small World". You keep my mind occupied with random bull shit preventing me from dwelling too long on the crap that put me and rock bottom into this intimate relationship.

2. Coffee. How do I love thee, let me count the ways. Do I need to state a reason? I mean, come on, it's coffee!

3. Mirrors. Well, mirrors and my mother to be exact. Or maybe I should be thanking Selena for this post . This is a new development in my life but I feel I should be thankful for it. I read that post and got a wonderful visit from my mom at the same time. It was like a slap in the face that I needed. Note: My mom is not fat by any means but she is almost 60. I am only 37. I don't think I should look like a 60 year old. Just sayin'.

4. Adam Levine. You knew I'd go there.

Gratutious Adam Levine picture. I've got a million of them!

 But I also wanted to thank a wonderful artist whom I have grown to love so freakin' much--Matt Nathanson. His songwriting speaks to me in so many different ways. I love how he's kinda dirty in a very cloaked way, but most his lyrics are so raw and real and how he sings them you believe he's been there. Really, honestly, give him a listen. (p.s. this vid is my favorite song of his... well current favorite anyway!)




5. Kids. No, not my kids, are you kidding me? They are the spawn of Satan! Ok, no really. I am thankful for my kids, despite the devil red that pulses through them. I may lose my freakin' mind dealing with them everyday and I seriously believe they have a secret pact going to see which one of them will deliver the final straw that breaks my sanity and send me to the looney bin. But through all their demon child antics, there are those moments when one of them will sit next to me on the couch, rest his or her head on my arm and whispers in the sweet angelic (fake, but who cares) voice, "Mommy, I love you." I may be completely screwing them up but at least they love me. And for that, I'm grateful.

6 & 7. My friends. You know who you are. You sent out a lifeline to me and invited me to "Twilight Tuesdays" that got me out of my house at least once a week. And you weathered through my internal--and totally inappropriate--moans for Robert Pattinson and that totally hot boy whom I will forever call Tater to remind myself that no matter how pretty his mouth is and no matter how grown-up that body is, he is WAY too young for me to look at any way except with the hope that my daughter will someday grow up and meet a nice looking young man like him. Uh hum. And you. You also patiently waiting for me to open back up to you, after I carelessly refused to return your concerned phone calls. Three weeks passed and you diligently called me everyday just to say hi even though I didn't call back once. And when we did reconnect there was no judgement from you, just a "It's ok, I completely understand." Most women would have written me off, but not you. You held on like a real friend.

8. My best friend. I have best friends (see above) and then I have a best friend. How did I say it when I was younger? I had "local" best friends and then I had my "world" best friend. Well, I'm saying thank you to my "world" best friend. When I am on a crazy roller coaster and I'm trying to deal with money issues, or family drama, or kid drama, or just my own emotional being, I'm screaming my head off with my eyes closed waiting for it to end. And when it does, I open my eyes and I find out you were on the same crazy roller coaster--we just both had our eyes closed and didn't realize we were right next to each other the whole ride. So many times, for so many reasons I board that ride with my eyes open, begging you to help me through the climbs and falls and you do so willingly. One little phrase always makes me realize why you are my best friend: "Do you want me to give you the nice bullshit answer or the real one?"  Thank you for that and for so many more reasons I can't even begin to list.

9. I already thanked the internet but I want to end this post with a thank you to words, written words. Without written words I wouln't be able to express myself clearly. Sometimes the words I want to say get lost on the route from my brain to my mouth. But the route from my brain to my hands is much clearer. And I'm extremely thankful for knowing I can come here and write whatever randomness I have going on inside my head, whether people read it or not, it's ok. At least I have my outlet. It's not beautiful lyrics, or a prize winning novel, or even a widely read and acknowledged blog--and I'm ok with that. At least it's here, waiting for these written words to be poured out into it's hungry, blank belly.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about the first two in my post! Coffee is pretty much the only thing that keeps me from falling asleep in random places.

    p.s. Your rant about the cell phones in your comment on my post is spot-on. I am glad there are still civilized people out there.

    ReplyDelete