Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Typical Night in Photos

This is a photo montage of the night my husband and I had recently. Unfortunately, it's typical, which means it happens a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

First off, let's start at the beginning.

My emotional being:

Rocks. Yes, cold as stone. But notice it's not all one rock. It's several rocks with cracks in between. Sometimes those cracks show emotion and I cry about things but for my most part... it's rocks. I usually don't let my emotions get away from me. I can't handle it when people do. Drives me up the freakin' wall!






My husbands emotional being:

Yea, yea, I know I'm being mean here and probably emasculating him completely (wouldn't be the first time) but come on... he wears his emotions on his sleeve, has no problem letting them show and lets them get away from him frequently. I can't tell you how many times I've stared at him while he throws a freakin' temper tantrum about one little thing I said.








Now, to be completely fair that whole "opposites attract" thing is totally true here. If we were both hard as stone, think of how boring our life would be? And if we were both crying babies all the time our lives would be too tumultuous and who knows what could happen there. Ok, I know exactly what could happen:



So, the other night I was feeling crappy sick and extremely annoyed at my husband because he too was sick. But as any married woman knows, a sick husband trumps any, and I mean ANY sickness you get. His coughs, his groans of "I'm not feeling well" his constant need to preface every damn thing he says with "You know, because I'm sick..." Example: "Because I'm sick, I don't feel like doing anything." And that's different then any normal day because...? "I'm sick, so I'm just going to sleep all day long." "I'm sick so the kids need to be quiet and not play and not make any noise and not bother me for anything... because I'm sick." Um, excuse me Dad but what do you expect your kids to do? They are 5 and 7, do you honestly think they can play quietly in their room at this age? Do you honestly believe your kids can be quiet at all???

Through all this, I kept my mouth shut. Better not to say anything then to cause your sick husband to throw a hissy fit.




Because you know, of course it's that time of the month and I'm on edge anyway. But I try to be a good wife/mother and learn to curb my PMS tantrums, even though I feel like this:



This is when it gets fun. The kids go to bed and my sick, whiney baby of a husband says, "Will you watch TV with me and just hang out with me? I feel like we never hang out."


Um, huh? Don't we live together? Don't we share the same bed? Don't we usually spend every waking moment together? Just because we aren't sitting millimeters apart on the couch watching the same television show doesn't mean we're not "hanging out". For the most part I'm at the desktop computer and you are 7 feet away from me on the recliner with the laptop open or the PS3 remote in your hand. That's not hanging out? What the hell? And usually--usually!--we are doing the same thing when on the computers, we are playing World of Warcraft together. But oh no, that's not enough. We need to be millimeters apart on the couch watching the same stupid ass pawn show that I can not stand but you seem to think is the next television revolution. No thank you. Plus,  you've been annoying me all day. You don't cough, you gag. You don't just sneeze, you rattle the walls. Ever heard of a tissue? It helps with all that snot you've been sucking up your nose all day.

So, kids are in bed, I've held my tongue all day and I thought I'd try something and be completely honest with him. He is always telling me to just tell him what's on my mind instead of saying "Nothing" or "I'm fine." I never want to hurt his precious feelings so I keep my mouth shut. But, he wants me to be honest, so I will be honest. So I said:

"I'm sorry I don't feel like hanging out with you." And probably I shouldn't have said what I said next but my PMS got in the way. "This can go two ways, either we fight about it or you appreciate that I'm being honest and leave it alone but..." I should have stopped there--I saw the look in his eyes--and I should have instead said, "Ok. I'll sit and watch the lame ass pawn show." But no... I couldn't. I had to be all honest. So I said. "I don't want to spent time with you tonight. I'm sorry but you've been annoying me all day and I just want to do my own thing tonight."






Um, yea. I did it. I stepped in it big time.


I knew the instant I said it I needed to back up, clean it up, make it all better. I honestly didn't want to fight with him. I really wasn't in the mood but my big fat mouth didn't shut in time to make it all go away.
But really, I was just being honest. He is always telling me to say what's on my mind--be honest with him--but I never do because, well, I get the reaction I got this night. I knew it was going to happen, I should have prepared reinforcements before hand but I didn't. I was flying by the seat of my pants now, I had to go with it, show him he needs to be a big boy and handle my honesty, no matter how ugly is it.

And this is when I que in the cry baby. Oh, not because I said he's been annoying me. It's because I said he'd been annoying me all day.
Him: How can you say all day? All day? Really? All day?
Me: Well yea. Your coughing, and gagging and the fact that you have been whining about being sick for 4 days now. I get it, you are sick! It's just gotten on my nerves.
Him: But all day? I've annoyed you all day?
Me: Yes, all day. I'm sorry but it's true.
Him: So you hate me, is that it? How is it you can love me and still be annoyed all day by me.

Um...........



Yea... seems he missed the memo on what it's like being married for 9 years. NINE YEARS! And he gets this upset about me being annoyed with him? I'm annoyed with my kids all the time but that doesn't mean I don't love them. A point I brought up but he got all pissy about that because I was comparing him to the kids--again. Well, babe, when you behave like the kids, react like the kids and throw tantrums like the kids... what do you expect?



I can safely say this argument went round and round for almost an hour. He focused on "ALL DAY" while I focused on: Dude, calm the fuck down, act like an adult about this and realize that I was just trying to be honest with you. We could have prevented this whole argument if you just said 'Ok, I'll leave you alone, sorry for annoying you. I'll try better.'

Can you imagine if he did do that? Oh man, that would have been wonderful!


Instead, it was this all night:



So, I ended up taking my medication for the day, week, month. Makes it all go away. Remember?


Credit: I can't even begin to credit where I got all these pictures. But they weren't stolen out of malice. They were used to prove my point of that I am always right and my husband is always wrong. If you want credit for the photo, please let me know and I will credit it for you or take it off. Because after all, I am just trying to be honest here!

No comments:

Post a Comment